Do you dream of a smile that is straighter, free from gaps, and something that you can’t wait to show off? There are numerous different ways to get there, and two of the most popular are braces and Invisalign. Invisalign clear aligners are a unique way to adjust your smile and bite and give you a grin that you love to share. What should every dental patient know about Invisalign, and could it be right for you?
What Is Invisalign?
Invisalign is used to refer to a system of clear aligners that is one type of orthodontic treatment. These aligners are very thin, translucent, and custom-designed to fit your mouth and orthodontic treatment plan. The material used in Invisalign trays has been carefully engineered to maintain comfort without sacrificing efficacy. Because they are virtually invisible and molded to the surface of your teeth when in your mouth, Invisalign aligners are a popular way for adults and people of any age to get orthodontic treatment without anyone else being able to tell.
Who Is Invisalign Appropriate For?
Since its introduction on the market, Invisalign has been used to straighten the teeth of people from all walks of life and with all different types of oral health challenges. Whether you have crowded teeth or bite issues, there is a good chance that Invisalign clear aligners may be appropriate for you. Some of the most common reasons why a dentist will encourage a patient to get Invisalign include:
- Bite problems (open bite, underbite, overbite, crossbite, etc.)
- And more!
It is important to note that more severe and complex issues might require traditional braces instead of Invisalign. Your dentist will work with you to determine the best way to quickly and easily move your teeth into the best possible alignment.
What Are the Benefits of Invisalign Treatment?
Just like traditional braces, at the end of your Invisalign treatment, you will feel fantastic about how your smile looks. However, unlike traditional braces, there are a few unique advantages that make adults continue to choose Invisalign. Some of the biggest benefits of Invisalign treatment include:
- Invisalign is made from a unique material designed specifically for use in their clear liners. Because this material has been engineered and refined to gently move teeth without pinching or discomfort, they are typically much more comfortable than traditional braces. You don’t need to worry about wires poking or brackets scraping up against your inner cheek.
- Any time you eat or drink, you will remove your Invisalign trays from your mouth. This means that you do not need to engage in the same diet and lifestyle changes that you would if you had traditional braces. Whether you like to eat popcorn or enjoy an apple as an afternoon snack, you don’t need to worry about any brackets sitting on your teeth.
- Beyond removing your aligners when you eat, you can also remove them for a very short period of time, providing that they are in your mouth for at least 22 hours a day. When you have a picture at the office or an important meeting, you can slip your aligners out. Even though your aligners are virtually invisible, this provides some patients with additional security that nobody will know they are wearing them.
- Just like with braces, your Invisalign trays will be customized to your orthodontic treatment plan. This means that you will enjoy steady progress over a period of months until the finished product is in your mouth.
- As mentioned above, it is almost impossible to tell that someone is wearing Invisalign trays. When first starting treatment, you might be able to notice a slight lisp when you speak, but after that., Nobody will be the wiser except for you.
- If you are concerned about the length of your treatment time, Invisalign trays are also an excellent choice. Depending on the severity of your situation, you can expect your Invisalign treatment to be completed faster than if you opted for traditional braces.
Are There Any Downsides to Invisalign Treatment?
When weighing your options, it’s only natural to want to know if there is a catch. Fortunately, with Invisalign, there is no catch! As long as you are able to wear your aligners in order for at least 22 hours a day, there should be no reason why your treatment plan does not progress smoothly and seamlessly. There are virtually no downsides to choosing Invisalign for your orthodontic treatment.
The only potential downsides are the lifestyle adjustment that is necessary when wearing trays and the problems they can fix. Because aligners need to be in your mouth for 22 hours, you will not be able to sip soda or coffee for half the day. Additionally, Invisalign is not appropriate for every type of orthodontic issue. If you have serious spacing issues or more complex bite problems, traditional braces may be more appropriate for correction.